Dementia Matters Statement in Response to COVID-19

                                                                       

Dear All

Closure of day care


Day Care was closed last week following several internal and external meetings. This has resulted in a proportion staff being put on furlough. All staff on furlough are entitled to 80% Government support, and as an organisation, we have opted to make up the remaining balance of 20% to ensure staff are on full wages. This will be reviewed on a monthly basis, and those furloughed will be brought back as and when the need of the people we support requires it.

We would like to say a big thank you to all on furlough for the sensible and common-sense approach adopted as, clearly, we have very little choice right now. We look forward to welcoming you all back as soon as possible.
Our offer to use the Bradbury Centre as an emergency centre for the NHS and Council has not yet been taken up, but all agencies have shown their gratitude for the offer.

Residential and respite services continue to run as normal, with one respite bed being used for a vulnerable member of the community on a long-term basis. We are waiting to fill the second respite bed in due course, with Clare, Sophie and the team providing the extra care this will entail.

Home care continues to be busy with some day care staff picking up extra shifts. There is no doubt that demands on home care and home care staff will increase over the next few weeks, so Lindy, Christine and Dawn are working to coordinate the best way of dealing with this increased demand.

The Dementia Advice Centre continues to contact existing and new referrals, with Joe leading the way, ably assisted by Jodie. Naturally, all of this is taking place by telephone and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

In order that we can continue to support our former day care service users, the Council have agreed to pay a sum to keep contact going with the most vulnerable. Clare is coordinating this effort, which includes care support for the most in need, wellbeing checks over the telephone, shopping calls, and support with liaison between other agencies, e.g. social work.

It is testament to the professionalism of all our staff that infections of our clients have remained at zero, and with Covid 19 cases amongst staff also at zero. It is clear that everybody has been following good hygiene practices, using PPE correctly, and being sensible about your own isolation when at home. Thank you to all of you for an exceptional effort to protect yourselves and the people you care for.

I would also like to thank all that took the brave step early on to self-isolate as again; this not only protects yourselves, but the wider community of service users at Dementia Matters.

Whilst these are undoubtedly strange times right now, rest assured that the Senior Team continues to work hard, not only to maintain services and protect our service users, but also to keep the charity going in uncertain times.
The SMT meets at 10am every morning to discuss the days business, and it is our intention to continue to do so until the crisis is over. To support this activity, the Board meets with the SMT every Monday evening at 5pm for a strategic update and discussion of the week’s events. Naturally, once again, this is all done by conference call.

Please do speak up if you need PPE equipment, advice and support, or just a friendly chat with a colleague. Hannah and Georgina are available should you wish to speak to someone confidentially about any concerns.

Keep in touch on the charity Facebook pages, and in particular, let us know of any good news stories during this time. It's always nice to raise a smile when all the news seems to be a bit depressing.

Thanks once again for your fantastic efforts for Dementia Matters and our service users, and thanks for your good humour in difficult times.

Best wishes

Fraser
CEO.

For previous statements please click here                                                                        

If you have concerns about COVID-19, or would like further advice and information, visit https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Carers UK have coronavirus advice here:
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/coronavirus-covid-19

 Age UK information and advice here:
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/health-wellbeing/conditions-illnesses/coronavirus